This recipe yields a delicious and healthy red beet side dish. The slices will come out slightly crunchy. If you prefer them a little softer just leave them in the oven long enough until they’re as soft as you want them to be. The flavour of these beets combines tangy lemon with thyme and honey. It’s a great side dish or side salad but you can also use these beets as ingredients for other dishes like pasta salads. This will add some extra colour and flavour. From Baltic Maid.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Peel the red beets and cut them into 1/2 cm (about 1/4 inch) thick slices. (Warning: This will stain your hands pretty good. So either you wear gloves or be prepared to scrub your hands afterwards.)
- 2Preheat the oven to 375°F / 190°C.
- 3Place two large pieces of parchment paper on top of each other on a baking sheet. Place the beet slices on the bottom parchment paper.
- 4In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice, lemon zest, olive oil, and the honey. Mix until everything is combined. Then add the thyme. It is up to you how much thyme you want to use(the author uses 2 tbls.). Then add some salt and pepper.
- 5Pour the sauce over the red beets and cover it with the top parchment paper by twisting the ends together like a bonbon.
- 6Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake the red beets for about 45 minutes or longer if you want them softer.
- 7Serve warm or cold.
- 8Guten Appetit!
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for German Baked Red Beets
Serving Size: 1 (275 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 186.3
- Calories from Fat 64
- Total Fat 7.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 195.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.2 g
- Sugars 21.5 g
- Protein 4.1 g