Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
A light and puffy apple custard-like creation serving two and baked in a skillet. Great for breakfast, dessert and snacks.
- 1⁄3 cup sugar, plus
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup half-and-half or 1⁄3 cup light cream
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup tart apple, peeled,cored and thinly sliced (1 small apple)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Combine the 1/3 cup sugar and the cinnamon; set aside.
- Whisk together the flour, remaining 1 tsp sugar, salt and half and half until smooth; thoroughly whisk in eggs.
- In a heavy, 10" oven-proof skillet cook the apples in the butter over moderate heat, stirring, for 2 minutes; sprinkle with the sugar mixture and stir, cooking, until sugar is melted.
- Pour the batter over the apple mixture; bake in a preheated 400° oven 12-15 minutes, or until it is puffed and golden; invert onto a heated platter.
My pancake puffed up beautifully, but of course, it also falls after being removed from the oven. I followed the recipe except I used 2 apples (love apples). My family loved it. They thought it was a great dessert but my 10 yr daughter said "The Germans are lucky they get to eat this for breakfast." Perfect for 4 desserts. Thank you.
Hi! So my making of this didn't turn out too well: it didn't rise and as a result it was too eggy. I don't know why because none of the other recipes say this, but looking at the recipe, there's no 'raising agent' so I don't see how it would be puffy. I don't have the best oven, so my result might be its fault, which is why I'm not reating. But if you could get back to me about this, as it really does seem a good recipe, I'd be grateful. Thanks! <3, the NOOBchef.
Made for I Recommend Tag. Sugarpea ~ just wanted you to know that the "no star" rating has nothing to do with anything other than the fact that I tried to convert this to gluten free and it didn't work, but it was my fault. I used the wrong flour mix and will be making this again with a different flour mix and will re-post my review then. The apples tasted fantastic, but the pancake did not puff up at all for me. Gluten free flours can be tricky!