Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is the most amazing recipe I've ever found online. It's the #1 recipe on VegWeb.com, and for good reason. All credit must go to "rubybean77", who originally posted it in 2003. After reading all the reviews and making it myself, I have altered her recipe slightly by doubling the sauce ingredients, and cutting the sugar a bit. The cooking time was an estimate, and I apologize if it's way off. So if you like less sauce, or a really sweet sauce, then you can definitely adjust accordingly. I use extra firm tofu that's been frozen, thawed, and squeezed dry; I think it gives the best texture. Serve it over rice and your favorite stir-fry veggies, and you've got the perfect vegan dinner. Enjoy!!
- 1 (14 ounce) box firm tofu
- egg substitute for 1 egg (Ener-G works great)
- 3⁄4 cup cornstarch
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 6 chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons minced ginger
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable stock
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- red pepper
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine (optional)
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- Drain, dry and cut tofu into 1 inch chunks. You can freeze tofu the night before to get a more chicken-like consistency, but it isn't necessary. Mix the egg replacer as specified on the box and add an additional 3 tablespoons water. Dip tofu in egg replacer/water mixture and coat completely. Sprinkle 3/4 cup cornstarch over tofu and coat completely. Watch out that the cornstarch doesn't clump up at the bottom of the bowl.
- Heat oil in pan and fry tofu pieces until golden. Drain oil.
- Heat 6 Tablespoons vegetable oil in pan on medium heat. Add green onions, ginger and garlic, cook for about 2 minutes. Be careful not to burn garlic. Add vegetable stock, soy sauce, sugar, red pepper and vinegar. Mix 4 Tablespoons water with 2 Tablespoon cornstarch and pour into mixture stirring well. Add fried tofu and coat evenly.
- Serve immediately with stir-fry veggies over your choice of rice.