Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
An easy and delicious way to fix fresh fish. From the Michigan Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947
- 4 lbs whole fish, cleaned and scaled
- 6 slices bacon
Stuffing for fish
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 cups breadcrumbs (soft)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, peeled and minced
- 1 stalk celery, minced
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sage
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- For the stuffing: Pour milk over bread crumbs.
- Melt butter; add onions and brown.
- Pour into bread crumbs.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Rub fish inside and out with vinegar.
- Fill fish with stuffing, close opening.
- Place fish on a rack in a baking pan.
- Cover fish with bacon.
- Bake for about 40 minutes, basting occasionally.