Recipe by mollypaul
An easy and delicious way to fix fresh fish. From the Michigan Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947
- 4 lbs whole fish, cleaned and scaled
- 6 slices bacon
Stuffing for fish
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 cups breadcrumbs (soft)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, peeled and minced
- 1 stalk celery, minced
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sage
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- For the stuffing: Pour milk over bread crumbs.
- Melt butter; add onions and brown.
- Pour into bread crumbs.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Rub fish inside and out with vinegar.
- Fill fish with stuffing, close opening.
- Place fish on a rack in a baking pan.
- Cover fish with bacon.
- Bake for about 40 minutes, basting occasionally.