Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
From Marlena Spieler's Hot & Spicy cookbook.
- 2 cups cubed French bread
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 head garlic, cloves separated and peeled but left whole
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage leaves
- 3 small dried red chilies
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, plus extra, if desired, for sprinkling
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- cayenne pepper
- Saute bread crumbs in olive oil until golden. Toss with chopped garlic. Set aside.
- Place whole garlic cloves, sage, small dried chiles, and broth in saucepan. Bring to boil and simmer 15 minutes or until garlic is soft and sweet-flavored.
- Beat eggs and add 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese. Slowly stir into soup mixture. Simmer for a few minutes over low heat to thicken soup slightly; stir in sherry. Serve immediately, topped with the reserved croutons, sprinkled with cayenne pepper to taste, and with Parmesan cheese, if desired.