Recipe by Robin Cowdrey
The roasted garlic variation will work well. Roasting really mellows the garlic flavour so use more if you are a garlic lover. For a really intense garlic flavour use raw garlic pushed through a garlic press. The flavour will be very different; use only one or two fat cloves. Unless you like gluey potatoes, don't use a food processor or electric mixer. I would leave out the nutmeg and use the buttermilk with the garlic variation. I particularly like the roasted garlic or celeriac variation as a topping for Shepherd's or Cottage Pie.
Top Review by Chef's Meow
Really nice recipe and very quick to make once the potatoes are boiled. I substituted the milk with a rice "milk" and the butter with an olive oil version of "butter" to make a dairy-free version. Really fab!!
- 6 medium baking potatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup milk or 1⁄2 cup buttermilk, hot
- nutmeg, freshly grated (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and quarter potatoes and place in large pot with just enough cold water to cover and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Over high heat, bring to a boil; lower heat to medium low and cook, covered, until very tender, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Drain. Mash potatoes, working out all the lumps.
- Add butter, 1/2 teaspoon salt and milk. Whip with a fork until smooth.
- Add nutmeg to taste, if using, and a little more hot milk, if necessary. Serve immediately or keep warm over a pan of hot water.
- VARIATIONS All quantities are for the basic Mashed Potatoes (recipe above):.
- HERBED: Add sprigs of fresh herbs, bay leaf or celery tops to the water while boiling potatoes, if desired add 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley, thyme or oregano, or a combination of fresh herbs, while mashing.
- ITALIAN: Substitute herbed olive oil for butter and use hot chicken broth instead of milk.
- PESTO: Omit butter; add 1/4 cup grated Parmesan and 1 to 2 tablespoon basil pesto or sundried tomato pesto.
- ROASTED GARLIC: Brush 6 to 10 unpeeled cloves garlic with olive oil and roast at 3250F for 30 minutes. When cool enough to handle, squeeze garlic out of skins and add to the potatoes while mashing. Add 1/4 cup grated Parmesan, if desired.
- ROOT VEGETABLE: Use only 4 potatoes and add one of the following: 4 medium parsnips, peeled and diced; 2 white turnips, of equal size to the potatoes, peeled and diced; or 1 medium celery root, peeled and diced. Cook with potatoes. Add an extra pinch of nutmeg.