Recipe by Nyteglori
For those with garlic or onion allergies. Most ketchup has some onion and garlic in it. Even those that don't label onion and garlic separate sometimes lump it in with spices. Omit the onion powder if you are sensitive.
Top Review by kiwidutch
Lovely recipe! I did find that the smell of molasses is quite strong and it kind of dominated a little so next time I make this I think that I will try golden syrup and see if the result tastes as good. Otherwsie I was delighted that I could make a ketchup free of preservatives and "E" numbers and that it was quick and easy to make. Please see my rating system: 4 stars for a great taste, but I will expeiment a little with this becuase the molassas tended to be a touch overpowering. Thanks !
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 dash celery salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Add all ingredients to a bowl; stir until fully combined. Add to a ketchup container for "normalcy" if desired (you can purchase a squeeze bottle), and store in the fridge.
- Note on the hot sauce you need to be careful of the same problems as ketchup. Apple-cider vinegar based hot sauces are your best bet to avoid garlic.