Recipe by Leilani
I found this recipe in a Taste of Home magazine several years ago. I love the taste of this creamy and rich soup. I also love the fact that this bisque doesn't have any sweet ingredients included. The other vegetables lend a rich flavor to the squash.
- 2 garlic, bulbs
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup carrot, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 4 lbs butternut squash, peeled, seeded & cubed (about 8 cups)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons fresh sage, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup plus 1 tbs heavy whipping cream
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove papery outer skin from garlic. Cut tops off bulbs. Brush with oil. Wrap with foil. Bake at 425 degrees for 30-35 minutes. Cool.
- Saute onions, carrots, and celery in butter in a large pot until tender.
- Add squash, broth and 2 TBS sage. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered until squash is tender.
- Squeeze softened garlic into a small bowl and mash with a fork.
- Stir garlic into soup. Cool soup slightly.
- Transfer soup in batches to a blender and puree.
- Return soup to pot. Add 1/2 cup cream and season with salt and pepper.
- When ready to serve soup, drizzle each bowl with cream and add some chopped sage to the top.