Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Found this recipe using Vegemite. Something new for me to try.
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 lb rump steak, sliced finely
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 6 ounces sugar snap peas
- 6 spring onions, -cut into 3cm lengths
- 2 teaspoons vegemite
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon plum sauce
- 1⁄2 bunch silver beet, roughly chopped
- rice or noodles, to serve
- HEAT a frying pan or wok, add the oil, and cook the steak and garlic in small amounts until beef is just browned.
- ADD sugar peas, spring onions and stir in combined Vegemite, water and plum sauce. Stir fry for 4-5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add silverbeet, tossing gently until just cooked.
- SERVE immediately with rice or noodles.
The vegemite gave this a lovely flavour base and really came through in the vegies as well as the noodles I served it over. The only small thing I'd change next time is to use a little vegemite and maybe sugar to caramelise the steak while cooking and put that to one side while doing the vegies to give the steak the same sort of flavour throughout. I've only ever used vegemite in stews and the like before and never in a stir-fry, bit it is such a great idea Blue Rose and thanks for posting this one!