Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
The oatmeal and chili sauce were inspired by another recipe I found on RecipeZaar, but I added an assortment of vegetables to add color, texture, flavor, and nutrition. I like to use the Uncle Sam oatmeal because it contains flax seeds and wheat flakes along with the oats, but you can use any rolled oats or instant plain oatmeal you have on hand.
- 1 lb ground turkey breast
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packet instant plain oatmeal
- 1⁄4 cup skim milk
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup shredded zucchini, excess water squeezed out
- 1⁄2 cup shredded carrot
- 3 button mushrooms, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh spinach, chopped, excess water squeezed out
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 cup chili sauce
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Empty packet of oatmeal into a small bowl and add milk. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a small sauté pan. Add onion and garlic and sauté until soft.
- Add rest of the vegetables and cook until soft and some of the liquid has evaporated.
- In a mixing bowl, mix ground turkey, oatmeal mixture, chili sauce, Worcestershire sauce and sauteed veggies until well combined. Form into a loaf shape and place in a greased loaf pan or on a greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350°F until internal temperature reaches 140°F Raise oven temperature to 450°F and bake until internal temperature reaches 180°, and the outside of the loaf forms a nice crust.
This recipe is great! I tweaked it a bit (no mushrooms, spinach or chili sauce) and turned it into muffins for my toddler and he loved it! Next time I'll try adding the spinach for more veggies.
I did leave out the mushrooms (personal preference) but followed the rest of the recipe exactly. This is a moist and flavorful turkey loaf. I liked the texture of the sauteed veggies (no surprise crunches) and I did preheat a rimmed cookie sheet before placing the loaf on to bake, and that insured a crisp bottom. The leftovers made great sandwiches. Made for PAC Spring 08. Thanks for posting BxChick.