Recipe by smellyvegetarian
This was one of my favorite tempeh recipes for a long time, and I am surprised it is not already posted here! It comes from the May 1998 edition of Cooking Light, and it is just perfect when you want a warm comfort food-ish yet vegetarian meal! I recommend cutting the veggies very small to get the most authentic "sloppy joe" texture.
Top Review by lalalucy
This was very tasty. Next time I might try to precook the carrot pieces in the microwave a little so they're not so hard. This was the first time I used tempeh, was a little unwieldy to "crumble" but I managed!
- 9.85 ml olive oil
- 236.59 ml chopped onion
- 236.59 ml chopped celery
- 118.29 ml diced carrot
- 226.79 g package tempeh, crumbled
- 473.18 ml canned crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 59.14 ml water
- 59.14 ml barbecue sauce (they recommend hot and spicy)
- 9.85 ml chili powder
- 2.46 ml dried oregano
- 2.46 ml pepper
- 1.23 ml salt
- 8 whole wheat hamburger buns
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion, celery, carrot, and tempeh, and sauté 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and next 6 ingredients (tomatoes through salt). Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Uncover and cook an additional 3 minutes or until mixture is slightly thick. Serve on hamburger buns.