Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a wonderful low fat and tasty recipe.
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium chicken broth or 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 medium eggplants, unpeeled and julienned
- 2 medium zucchini, unpeeled and julienned
- 1 medium red pepper, diced
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 cups canned plum tomatoes or 3 cups fresh plum tomatoes, diced plus juice
- 1⁄4 cup evaporated skim milk
- 1⁄2 bunch fresh basil
- 1⁄3 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
- 12 ounces penne pasta
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- Saute onion and garlic in chicken or vegetable broth for 5 minutes until transparent.
- Wash and dry julienne strips of eggplant and zucchini.
- Add eggplant and zucchini to garlic/onion mixture.
- Add more stock if necessary.
- Saute for 8 minutes.
- Add diced pepper and tomatoes plus juice.
- Mix together and saute for 3 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup of the evaporated skim milk.
- This will add a pinkish color to the sauce.
- Use the remaining half of the milk if sauce needs more liquid or color, whichever you prefer.
- Spoon sauce over hot, al dente penne pasta.
- Sprinkle with basil, salt, black pepper and freshly grated parmesan cheese.