Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is an easy pasta dish to make when your garden is bursting with fresh parsley and basil. It's a terrific side dish with grilled chicken breasts, plus it makes a great vegetarian main course when served with a salad.
- 1 green onion, chopped roughly
- 1⁄4 cup butter (margarine can be substituted, but the taste will be different)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly grated lemon, zest of
- 3⁄4 cup cottage cheese (or ricotta cheese)
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese (fresh, if possible)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly grated black pepper
- 1 lb fusilli (or your favourite)
- Place green onion chunks in food processor fitted with steel blade, and process until minced.
- Place all other ingredients, except for the pasta, into the food processor and whiz around until well combined.
- If you wish, refrigerate this butter, covered, until you need it; do not store for more than 3 days, and bring it back to room temperature before using.
- To prepare dish, bring a large pot of salted water to boil and cook pasta following package directions.
- Drain well, place in a serving dish, and add butter to hot pasta; toss well to coat, then serve.
Unique & interesting recipe. I loved this recipe for the fresh herbs I could use from the garden & cottage cheese used in place of cream. We don't like our pasta real creamy so I found the sauce was enough for twice as much pasta for us. I didn't have green onions or lemon zest so I used chives & lemon pepper instead. Very tasty & enjoyed thoroughly, thanks for sharing.