Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a recipe from my native country of Nicaragua. I love this with some sour cream on it.
- 2 cups cooked long-grain rice
- 1 cup red beans or 1 cup cooked black beans ("frijol criollo")
- 1⁄2 cup of finely diced white onion
- 3 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro ("Culantro de Castilla")
- sour cream
- Place vegetable oil on a frying pan and heat for approximately 1 minute.
- Saute onions until caramelized.
- Add entire pot of cooked beans and its gravy into the sautéed onions.
- Stir over low-medium heat for a minute.
- Combine cooked rice to sautéed bean mix well and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add salt to taste.
- Add cilantro.
- Cook on high heat and quick.
- Serve immediately and add the sour cream to taste.
I had this for lunch today but topped with plain fat-free yoghurt instead of sour cream. It was really nice and I shall make this again. Thanks for the recipe!