1/1 Photo of Gai Lan (Chinese Broccoli) and Beef
Pepper Monkey's Note:
My Chinese roommate taught me to make this yummy dish. Mostly because she got tired of making it for me as I can't get enough of it. This is so good and your house will be filled with wonderful smells. If you like garlic this is a must.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 -2 lb lean steak, sliced thinly into one inch long pieces. (i usually get the presliced "stir fry" steak at my grocery)
- 1 bunch gai lan (about 2-3lbs, can be found in farmers market or ethnic grocer. Its a large leafy vegetable that tast)
- 6 teaspoons fish sauce
- 6 teaspoons sesame oil
- 6 teaspoons soy sauce
- 4 -6 fresh garlic cloves, chopped finely (must be fresh, not jarred)
- 1Combine sauces and oil and marinate beef in them for about 30 minutes.
- 2It should cover all of the beef.
- 3If not add more in even amounts.
- 4Meanwhile wash gai lan well and cut into three to four inch pieces.
- 5(Note: seems to taste better when leaves and stalks are attached) 5-A Boil a large pot of water 5-B When water boils drop pieces of gai lan into boiling water and remove when desired softness.
- 6(I like mine a little crispy) Heat a frying pan or wok over medium high heat.
- 7When pan is hot, sauté garlic in about 1 tsp of oil until just lightly browned.
- 8Be careful-- this will sizzle a lot.
- 9When garlic is browned dump in the beef with marinade and sauté until done.
- 10Serve over steamed rice, and Chinese broccoli.
- 11Use remaining sauce with rice and veggie.
- 12NOTE: This might be too salty for some. I suggest using a lite soy sauce instead of regular to reduce the salt content some.
Browse Our Top Steak Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Steak Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gai Lan (Chinese Broccoli) and Beef
Serving Size: 1 (111 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 290.7
- Calories from Fat 243
- Total Fat 27.1 g
- Saturated Fat 3.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 4836.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 6.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: