Prep 40 mins
Cook 20 mins
My Chinese roommate taught me to make this yummy dish. Mostly because she got tired of making it for me as I can't get enough of it. This is so good and your house will be filled with wonderful smells. If you like garlic this is a must.
- 1 -2 lb lean steak, sliced thinly into one inch long pieces. (i usually get the presliced "stir fry" steak at my grocery)
- 1 bunch gai lan (about 2-3lbs, can be found in farmers market or ethnic grocer. Its a large leafy vegetable that tast)
- 6 teaspoons fish sauce
- 6 teaspoons sesame oil
- 6 teaspoons soy sauce
- 4 -6 fresh garlic cloves, chopped finely (must be fresh, not jarred)
- Combine sauces and oil and marinate beef in them for about 30 minutes.
- It should cover all of the beef.
- If not add more in even amounts.
- Meanwhile wash gai lan well and cut into three to four inch pieces.
- (Note: seems to taste better when leaves and stalks are attached) 5-A Boil a large pot of water 5-B When water boils drop pieces of gai lan into boiling water and remove when desired softness.
- (I like mine a little crispy) Heat a frying pan or wok over medium high heat.
- When pan is hot, sauté garlic in about 1 tsp of oil until just lightly browned.
- Be careful-- this will sizzle a lot.
- When garlic is browned dump in the beef with marinade and sauté until done.
- Serve over steamed rice, and Chinese broccoli.
- Use remaining sauce with rice and veggie.
- NOTE: This might be too salty for some. I suggest using a lite soy sauce instead of regular to reduce the salt content some.
I found this to be tasty, but far too salty. I suppose I should have noticed the salt content in the nutritional information. I like salt, but this was too much for me. I agree that ginger would make a nice addition to this recipe, although I don't think I will be making it again.
This was a quick, easy, and tasty meal. I followed the recipe exactly and found that it was a tad too salty for our tastes and I will probably decrease the soy sauce and sesame oil next time (and there will definitely be a next time). :) That is just our personal preference, otherwise the combo of ingredients was very good. I think it would be wonderful to add some ginger as well. Overall, it is a very adaptable recipe and nice flavor. Thanks!