1/1 Photo of Ga Lei Se Dik (Chinese Beefsteak in Curry Sauce)
echo echo's Note:
Curry translated into a Chinese dish--another old favorite from my well-thumbed copy of Jim Lee's Chinese Cookbook. The original recipe called for MSG but I don't use that so I've omitted it; if you want it anyway the amount is 1 tsp and it's in the marinade described in Step 1. The preparation time shown includes the 30 minutes for marinating the meat.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1 lb sirloin steaks (about 2 cups) or 1 lb flank steak, trimmed and sliced into 1/4-inch thick strips (about 2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or 1/2 cup water
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 slices gingerroot, shredded
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup onion, sliced and separated into rings
- chopped scallion (to garnish)
- 1Mix together the sugar, soy sauce and 1 Tbsp oil; use mixture to marinate the sliced beef for 30 minutes.
- 2Drain the marinade from the beef and add the cornstarch, curry powder and chicken stock to the marinade.
- 3Dry-heat wok or large skillet over high heat, then add 1 1/2 Tbsp oil and use to stir-fry the garlic, ginger and salt until garlic and ginger are golden brown.
- 4Add the marinated beef and brown quickly on outside, about 1 minute; remove to a bowl.
- 5Clean wok or pan and heat it hot and dry again; add 1 1/2 Tbps oil and stir-fry onion rings until golden brown.
- 6Stir in the curry-marinade mixture and heat, stirring, until it thickens.
- 7Return beef to the pan, mixing thoroughly.
- 8Serve garnished with shopped scallions.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ga Lei Se Dik (Chinese Beefsteak in Curry Sauce)
Serving Size: 1 (212 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 541.4
- Calories from Fat 361
- Total Fat 40.1 g
- Saturated Fat 12.0 g
- Cholesterol 111.9 mg
- Sodium 700.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 34.2 g