Recipe by Kannwilson
This is a wonderful healthy pasta recipe. Use whole wheat pasta to make it even more healthy.
Top Review by Dorie's Lori
Mmmmmm! Well, I just had to give this recipe 5 stars, even though I made some changes. I do think, even exactly as written, it would still be so yummy! I have had a similar dish, called "Penne Sicilian" in a Boynton Beach, Florida restaurant called Mama Mia's, and it was so delicious and so different! I was very glad to find this recipe to help me re-create it! Eating it is indeed a little bit different - there are all kinds of flavors in your mouth that meld really well together. Most interestingly are the bits of sweet, from the currants. The combo may sound wierd, but there is total synergy at work. For instance, I wouldn't tell my son what was in it - there were 5 ingredients in mine that he wouldn't touch. (I called the eggplants "aubergines" - tee hee!) Well, he had 3rds! OK - so onto my changes - I don't like capers - I subbed chopped green olives, from the deli barrel. I added chopped parsley. Subbed skinned chopped tomatoes from my garden. Most significantly, I added some chopped up anchovies, because I think I remember them being in the recipe I was trying to re-create. I prepped everything ahead and cooking went smoothly. Used my huge cast iron skillet. OK - if you are intrigued - please try this delicious recipe - it's awesome!
- 2 lbs eggplants, cut into 1/2 inch thick slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3⁄4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 3⁄4 cup dried currant
- 1⁄2 cup drained capers
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, do not drain
- 1 lb fusilli or 1 lb similar pasta
- 1 cup freshly grated pecorino romano cheese
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh basil
Directions See How It's Made
- Place sliced eggplant on a large baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with salt and let stand for 20 minutes.
- Turn slices over and sprinkle with salt.
- Let stand 20 minutes.
- Rinse and pat dry with paper towels.
- cut into 1/2 cubes.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over med-high heat.
- Saute onion for about 4 minutes until golden.
- Add garlic and saute 1 minute.
- Add eggplant and saute about 10 minutes.
- Stir in pine nuts, capers and currants and saute 1 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and bring to a simmer.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook pasta in a large pot according to directions.
- Drain and return to pot.
- Add eggplant mixture, basil and 1/4 cup of cheese.
- Serve with remaining cheese separately.