Recipe by Nana Lee
From Saad Fayed, Ful medames is a popular breakfast dish in Egypt. It is served usually with a fried egg and pita bread. The pita bread is sometimes used as a scoop for the fava beans. Ful medames dates back to ancient Egypt. Overnight soaking of beans not included in times.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs dried fava beans or 1 1⁄2 lbs broad beans
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak beans overnight in water.
- Drain, and cover with fresh water in large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and simmer on low for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until beans are tender.
- Drain and place in medium bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Beans and remaining ingredients can be mashed together, or the beans can be left whole and gently mixed with remaining ingredients.
- It is more commonly served mashed together.
- Serve hot with a fried egg and pita bread.