Nana Lee's Note:
From Saad Fayed, Ful medames is a popular breakfast dish in Egypt. It is served usually with a fried egg and pita bread. The pita bread is sometimes used as a scoop for the fava beans. Ful medames dates back to ancient Egypt. Overnight soaking of beans not included in times.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Soak beans overnight in water.
- 2Drain, and cover with fresh water in large saucepan.
- 3Bring to a boil and simmer on low for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until beans are tender.
- 4Drain and place in medium bowl.
- 5Add remaining ingredients.
- 6Beans and remaining ingredients can be mashed together, or the beans can be left whole and gently mixed with remaining ingredients.
- 7It is more commonly served mashed together.
- 8Serve hot with a fried egg and pita bread.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ful Medames - Egyptian Fava Beans
Serving Size: 1 (126 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 703.9
- Calories from Fat 145
- Total Fat 16.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 23.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 100.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 42.6 g
- Sugars 9.8 g
- Protein 44.6 g