Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Hearty stew that goes well with a thick slice of crusty bread
- 425.24 g can fat-free chicken broth
- 170.09 g can tomato paste
- 170.09 g can water
- 4.92 ml cumin
- 1.23 ml cinnamon
- 0.59 ml cayenne
- 0.59 ml allspice
- 59.14 ml raisins
- 59.14 ml apricot, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 680.38 g butternut squash, peeled, seeded and chopped into quarter inch dice
- 453.59 g can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 59.14 ml frozen peas (for color) (optional)
- In large saucepan over medium-high heat combine broth, water, tomato paste and seasonings
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 25-30 minutes until chicken and squash are cooked through.
Awesome! Not intensely spicy so there's no need to put it over couscous or rice. It's great straight out of the bowl like it's "stew" name would indicate. I had to use dried onions--and had no apricots--and it's still fantastic. I used golden raisins, and they provided some tanginess. I'm eating it for breakfast too.
We really, really enjoyed this stew, what with the combination of raisins & apricots! The one change I made was to use 2 chicken breasts, for a slightly meatier stew! And, as much as we liked it right now, I'm keeping this recipe onhand to make when the weather gets a bit cooler! Thanks for sharing it! [Tagged, made & reviewed in 1-2-3 Hit Wonders tag]
I had chicken thighs on hand, so I browned them first and then cooked them in the sauce. This dish is spectacular! Full of flavor and pretty healthy, too! Was a huge hit with my DH--he says thanks a bunch!