Recipe by loof
My daughter recently bought me some vintage cookbooks. This recipe came from Betty Crocker's Dinner in a Dish, published in 1965. It's an unusual and tasty way to serve acorn squash!
- 2 acorn squash
- 2 cups cubed cooked ham
- 1 small orange
- 1 medium apple
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut squash in half crosswise and scoop out seeds. Place cut side down in a baking dish. Pour in water to a 1/4" depth. Bake at 400° for 30 minutes.
- While squash is baking, peel and chop the orange and chop the apple.
- Mix together the ham, chopped orange, chopped apple, brown sugar, and butter.
- When squash has baked, pour remaining liquid from pan and turn squash cut side up. Sprinkle lightly with salt.
- Fill squash halves with the ham mixture.
- Bake at 400° for 30 minutes, or until squash is tender.