Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
My mom got this delicious recipe from a newspaper twenty years ago when we lived in Germany. She never liked fruit cake until she made this one! She said this recipe was worth keeping and I would like to share it with you! It is delicious and if you never liked fruit cake, this one is worth trying!
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon brandy extract (or 3/4 cup milk, 1/4 cup brandy)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups golden raisins
- 1 cup dried apricot, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup candied orange peel, chopped
- 1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- Beat butter until light and creamy.
- Gradually add sugar, beating until smooth.
- Beat egg yolks together, lightly then add to mixture.
- Combine milk, brandy and vanilla.
- Mix flour and salt together.
- Alternately add milk mixture and flour mixture to butter mix.
- Fold in fruits and nuts.
- Beat egg whites with cream of tartar until stiff but not dry.
- Fold whites into batter gently but thoroughly.
- Pour mixture into two buttered and floured bread molds.
- Bake at 275 degrees for 2 1/2 hours or until they test done with toothpick.
- Cool then remove from loaf pans.
I gave it four stars because I thought it was great, buy my husband thought it was good. The only substitution I made is I used candied fruit instead of dried apricot and candied orange peel and I soaked the raisins in some brandy for about 20 minutes. Thanks for sharing.