Recipe by Crazy Lady Sadie
i got this from cook's illustrated as a test recipe, and i just have to share it! even my non-fruit eating husband and son enjoyed this!!
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 (6 ounce) peaches, pitted and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups blackberries (2 half-pint containers)
- 1 pint strawberry, hulled and quartered lengthwise (about 2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (2 limes)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine sugar, basil, and pepper in large bowl. Using firm rubber spatula, press mixture into side of bowl until sugar becomes damp, about 30 seconds. Gently toss fruit with sugar mixture until combined. Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes, stirring once halfway through. Stir in lime juice* to taste (see note below) and serve immediately.
- *Because riper fruit requires more acid to balance their sweetness, the lime juice should be added to taste. Start with 1 tablespoon, then add 1 teaspoon at a time as necessary. If your fruit isn’t perfectly ripe, you should increase the standing time to 30 minutes to allow for more juices to be released.