Looking around for a something a little bit special for Sunday brunch, I stole bits and pieces from other recipes on 'Zaar and came up with this. I think I'm still tweaking it; nonetheless, between my grandmother, my mom and me, we finished this version off in one sitting.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 slices bread (I used 9-grain but i bet french or challah is yummier)
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
- 4 ounces fat free cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon (or to taste)
- 1 cup fresh fruit (i like blueberries, bananas, or mangos (mixed fruit could be very good, too) or 1 cup frozen fruit (i like blueberries, bananas, or mangos (mixed fruit could be very good, too)
- 1/2 tablespoon ginger (optional)
- 1/4 cup pecans, see note (optional)
- 1Note: I think pecans go very well with blueberries and ginger is good with mangoes. Bananas are delicious with either -- or both!
- 2Blend cream cheese, sugar and cinnamon together in small bowl.
- 3If your fruit is in large pieces, chop into bite-sized chunks.
- 4Stir gently into cream cheese, then set aside.
- 5Beat egg and milk with the cinnamon in large shallow bowl.
- 6Dip both sides of each slice of bread in the milk/egg mixture until the bread is fully saturated.
- 7Line bottom of small casserole dish with 2 of these slices.
- 8Spread cream cheese and fruit mixture over the bread.
- 9If desired, sprinkle pecans over that.
- 10Top with remaining 2 slices of bread. Sprinkle a little cinnamon on the top and decorate with a few pretty pecan pieces.
- 11Bake at 350 degrees for about 35 minutes or until bread is a little puffed and golden, and filling is bubbly but not brown.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fruit-Filled Baked French Toast
Serving Size: 1 (81 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 183.9
- Calories from Fat 45
- Total Fat 5.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 161.2 mg
- Sodium 386.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 7.8 g
- Protein 11.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: