Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe was found in the July/August 2005 Home Cooking magazine, & includes one of my childhood favorite ingredients, fruit cocktail!
- 1 (16 ounce) can fruit cocktail in light syrup, drained, juice reserved
- 1 (9 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, then lightly coat the inside of a 9"x9" baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, blend the reserved fruit cocktail juice & the cake mix, then gently fold in the fruit, before pouring into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until the top is golden.
- Serve warm, but refrigerate leftovers.
PERFECT!! Just spray the bottom of the pan - not the sides. Again. Idiot proof.
This makes a very nice and fruity cobbler type dessert that we enjoyed a lot! I made my own cake mix and used sugar free fruit cocktail. I baked this in a loaf tin and had no problem with the fruit sinking to the bottom. However I found it didnt bake through that nicely so Ill probably make this into a cobbler next time. This is such an easy, quick and tasty dessert that Im sure Ill make it often.
THANKS SO MUCH for sharing, Syd!
Made and reviewed for the Best of 2011 Tag Game January 2012.
The taste it's self is good. Unfortunately the fruit (which was well drained of the juice before adding it) all sunk to the bottom. That might not be avoidable, I'm not sure as this is the first "Dump Cake" I have made. Worse. the cake bottom came out very wet and gooey. The toothpick test said done and the upper portion was as light as air. DH had a piece and said that he didn't care for any more. I'm really sorry Syd I was prepared to have something new (to us) that DH would love and is so easy to make. While the flavor is lovely I'm afraid that I wouldn't try this one again *sigh*.