Recipe by Shar-on
Posted in response to a request for Mennonite Bobbat that was made with chicken. This recipe comes from "Mennonite Foods and Folkways from South Russia. I have eaten bobbat but have not tried this recipe myself.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half or 1 1⁄2 cups light cream
- 1 1⁄4 cups raisins
- 4 lbs chicken
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift dry ingredients tog.
- Beat egg and add cooled margarine.
- Into the egg mixture alternately add half-and-half and dry ingredients till batter is smooth.
- Add raisins.
- Spoon into chicken or duck when bird is about half cooked.
- Since a 4 lb chicken will hold only part of the dressing, put the remaining dressing into a small greased bread pan and bake for 1 1/2 hours at 325 defF.
- Serve with chicken gravy.