Recipe by Catnip46
Simple ingredients, sandwiched between a sugar and nut crunch.Decorate with strawberries and mint if desired. The prep time does not included the 8 hours or more needed to freeze this recipe.
Top Review by weekend cooker
Great dessert we enjoyed tonight. Only change was I had a small amount of leftover pecans, so I mixed them up with some walnuts. This is definately a strawberry delight, as I am ready for a second serving as I speak. The cooling and cooking times were right on the dot. Made as a bonus tag for participating in Julys I reconmmend.
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 2 egg whites, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 (10 ounce) package strawberries, thawed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 (8 ounce) carton Cool Whip, thawed
- strawberry, for garnish (optional)
- mint sprig, for garnish (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, walnuts and cinnamon. Mix well. Stir in melted butter until well blended.
- Transfer mixture to large baking tray. Bake at 350 for 20 minute stirring often. Mixture should be crumbly. Cool.
- In large bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Gradually add sugar, beating constantly until very thick.
- Add undrained strawberries and lemon juice. Beat for at least 10 minute until mixture is very light and fluffy (mixture will fill bowl.) Fold in whipped topping, blending well.
- Into bottom of buttered 9x13 glass dish, evenly distribute half of brown sugar and nut mixture.
- Carefully spoon in strawberry mixture, spreading evenly. Sprinkle with remaining nut mixture. cover and freeze 8 hours or more.
- Remove from freezer about 20 minute before serving. Cut into squares. Garnish each serving with a whole strawberry and a mint leaf sprig, if desired.