Recipe by kpestrada
I am a big chocolaholic and I love frozen hot chocolate. I've tried a couple of the recipes that I've found online, some were really really good, but none had enough chocolate for me..I wanted something very chocolatey and preferably very dark, so I came up with this recipe...I also thought that none of the recipes were creamy enough for me so, I decided to use half and half instead of straight milk. I've also tried using 1/2cup fat free liquid presweetened coffee creamer and 1/2 cup milk to substitute for the half and half (and omitted the sugar, of course) and the substitution worked quite well. I also use unsweetened dark cocoa, but I'm sure regular unsweetened cocoa, would work just as fine. I also added the optional milk because, my blender needed it to blend the whole thing smooth. You may not need it. Hope you enjoy!
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 3 teaspoons dark unsweetened cocoa (heaping teaspoons)
- 2 -3 tablespoons sugar (heaping tablespoons or to taste)
- 1⁄3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups ice (about 12-14cubes)
- 1⁄4 cup milk (this is optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the half and half, cocoa, and sugar in a 3 cup microwavable container and stir until cocoa and sugar are dissolved.
- Add chocolate chips to the mixture and microwave on high for 1 minute (and in 20 second intervals) until the chocolate chips are completely melted when stirred (do not overcook).
- Refrigerate mixture until completely cold.
- When cold, put chocolate mixture in a blender and add the ice, and blend until icy smooth. (If needed, add the optional milk to help blend the mixture until smooth).