Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 hrs
A twist to an all time favorite. A make-a-head treat. ***Note*** Great for OAMC. This recipe is easily doubled and freezes well. If properly wrapped this will keep 6-8 weeks in the freezer.
1 9 inch gramham cracker crust
- 1 1⁄2 cups graham cracker crumbs (22 squares)
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup canned pumpkin or 1 cup mashed cooked pumpkin
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream
- 1⁄3 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- 4 tablespoons caramel topping (optional)
- Cool Whip (optional)
- To prepare crust:.
- Combine graham cracker crumbs with melted butter and sugar.Reserve about 3/4 cup of this mixture for topping. Press remaining crumb mixture firmly into buttered 9 inch pie plate. Chill 45 minutes before filling.
- To prepare filling:.
- Mix together the pumpkin, brown sugar, salt and spices. Stir ice cream to soften; then fold into pumpkin mixture. Pour into prepared crust. Combine reserved graham cracker crumbs with chopped nuts; sprinkle nut mixture over pie filling and freeze until needed.
- When ready to serve add additional toppings carmel and whipped topping.
I always pre-bake graham crusts; this one had a little too much butter for that and the sides slumped. I was able to press them back up with the side of a metal measuring cup while it was still hot. The crust eventually solidified rock hard; it was very difficult to eat with just a fork. Next time, I might forgo the pre-bake. We used Pumpkin Ice Cream as the filling and skipped the topping.
Great! I cheated and used a premade crust. I used pumpkin pie spice instead of the mixture and decreased the sugar. Thanks for the recipe !
What's not to like? I used some of the roasted pumpkin that we had leftover from Halloween, which we had frozen in vacuum sealed bags. I did not use the optional nuts, but I think that this would have worked well with pecans. Really great dessert treat and will make again. Made and Reviewed for 123 hit Wonders Tag - Thanks! :)