Recipe by LAURIE
As a child my mother would make these and I hated them. As a child I wanted chocolate, but now as an adult with different tastes, I love these bars. They are sweet, depending on how you frost them, but they are a great escape from chocolate. Another "grown-up" recipe!
Top Review by KyJo
Found these on the site yesterday and had to go home last night and make them. They sounded easy and delicious, and I wasn't disappointed. DH liked them alot, molasses is one of his favorite flavorings. I brought some in to work this morning and they are going fast. Thanks for sharing, Laurie.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening (I use margarine)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1 cup sour milk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream shortening and sugar well.
- Add beaten eggs and molasses, mixing well.
- Dissolve soda in sour milk and add to creamed mixture.
- Mix together flour, salt and cinnamon, then add to creamed mixture.
- Bake at 350 in greased jelly roll pan (15x10) for 20-25 minutes.
- Cool and frost with thin powdered sugar butter icing.