Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
As a child my mother would make these and I hated them. As a child I wanted chocolate, but now as an adult with different tastes, I love these bars. They are sweet, depending on how you frost them, but they are a great escape from chocolate. Another "grown-up" recipe!
- 1⁄2 cup shortening (I use margarine)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1 cup sour milk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Cream shortening and sugar well.
- Add beaten eggs and molasses, mixing well.
- Dissolve soda in sour milk and add to creamed mixture.
- Mix together flour, salt and cinnamon, then add to creamed mixture.
- Bake at 350 in greased jelly roll pan (15x10) for 20-25 minutes.
- Cool and frost with thin powdered sugar butter icing.
Found these on the site yesterday and had to go home last night and make them. They sounded easy and delicious, and I wasn't disappointed. DH liked them alot, molasses is one of his favorite flavorings. I brought some in to work this morning and they are going fast. Thanks for sharing, Laurie.