Recipe by Linda's Kitch
This is a fabulous brownie recipe! My good friend shared it with me years ago. I think you'll love it.
- 1 cup butter (I use Blue Bonnet for Baking margarine)
- 4 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs, beaten (use large-sized eggs)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups walnuts, chopped (about 8-ounces chopped walnut halves)
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips (equals 1 cup chips)
- 3 ounces Philadelphia Cream Cheese (unwrap cheese and soften in a microwave-safe bowl in the microwave on HIGH for 10 seconds or until s)
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon whole milk (I use 2% milk)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease with vegetable shortening, the bottom and sides of a 9-inch by 13-inch baking pan. Lightly flour the pan, tapping out any excess flour.
- Melt the butter and chocolate in the top of a double boiler over simmering water. Cool to room temperature.
- In a medium mixing bowl, cream the sugar, the beaten eggs, and vanilla. Blend the cooled chocolate mixture into the creamed sugar-egg mixture; set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the flour and salt.
- Add the flour 1/2 cup at a time, to the chocolate mixture, mixing after each flour addition just until incorporated; mix until your arm feels like it's going to fall off.
- Stir in the walnuts and chocolate chips.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack. Frost with Cream Cheese Frosting.
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTIN INSTRUCTIONS: In a medium mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese with an electric mixer until soft. Add the butter, mixing until smooth. Stir in the milk and vanilla. Gradually add the powdered sugar. Beat until smooth and spread onto cooled brownies.
- Yield: Makes approximately 12 brownies, depending on size preference. For 12 brownies, cut into squares 3 inches by 3 1/4 inches.