Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a cake-like bar cookie. I found the recipe in a search for a cookie I was once served. While I don't think this is the same cookie, it's good anyway.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened (no substitutes)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 cup mixed nuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup maraschino cherry, halved
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄4 cup butter (no substitutes)
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugars. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk.
- Stir in nuts, cherries and chocolate chips. Spread into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter until golden brown, about 7 minutes.
- Add milk and vanilla.
- Remove from the heat; beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth. Frost warm bars.
- Cool on a wire rack before cutting.