Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
A friend who teaches food and nutrition sent a student to my classroom with a piece of this cake to try, and I had to have the recipe. Quick, easy, and delicious - good for pot lucks or for serving to company with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup softened butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups peeled finely chopped apples (2-3 apples, depending on size)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups icing sugar (approximately)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease bottom only of a 13"x9" pan.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except apples. Beat on medium speed with electric beaters until batter is smooth, about 2-3 minutes. If the batter is too thick and threatens to blow the motor of your electric beaters, stick to your good old-fashioned friend, the wooden spoon!
- Stir apples into batter using a wooden spoon.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 30 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched with finger tip.
- Cool in pan on rack.
- Begin preparing frosting when cake comes out of the oven.
- In large saucepan, melt butter and add brown sugar. Bring this mixture to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and add milk. Beat with wire whisk until smooth. Add vanilla and beat again.
- Using whisk, add icing sugar 1/2 cup at a time. Beat with whisk after each addition, until smooth. Frosting should still be pourable.
- Pour frosting over warm cake and spread out with a spatula. Be careful - warm cake pulls apart easily, so spread quickly and gently!
- Let cake cool completely before cutting.
This is a recipe that excites the taste buds! Many options come to mind but the basic recipe is great. As stated, 1 1/2 cups of apples are called for (no matter what size the apples are). I don't understand the object of the 1-29-08 review. Thank you Alison J. for sharing this recipe with us.
This cake did not turn out as I anticipated. That's not to say that it wasn't good. I did not use any icing for the cake, that could have made a difference. I found that the cake was much drier than expected. The cake was much moister after it had sat for a day or so. Overall a good recipe to use if you just need a snack cake.