Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Recipe source: Bon Appetit (February 1985)
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 7 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 10 1⁄2 tablespoons butter or 10 1⁄2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons dark corn syrup
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- 2 1⁄4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons hot water
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄3 chopped walnuts, optional
- To make brownies: Preheat oven to 350-degrees F.
- Butter and flour 8-inch square baking pan or line pan with buttered and floured parchment paper.
- Sift together first 4 ingredients (flour- salt). Repeat (sifted twice). Set aside.
- Cream butter with sugar and vanilla until light.
- Beat in eggs one at a time.
- Add corn syrup.
- Add dry ingredients, blending well. Stir in walnuts, if using.
- Spoon batter (batter will be very thick) into prepared pan, smoothing with plastic spatula or knife.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick tests clean.
- Cool while making frosting.
- To make frosting: Melt chocolate and butter in double boiler over simmering water or in microwave. Stir in sugar, water and vanilla.
- Spread frosting over brownie. Sprinkle with walnuts, if desired.
- Let stand until frosting sets and then cut into 8 squares.
These brownies are very good. I think they are more cake-like than fudgey. I doubled the recipe because my boys really like brownies. We love the frosting! Thanks ellie~
YUM!!!! Made these this weekend for guests and they turned out pefect. I like a cakey style brownie, dh likes chewy - this gave us both what we like and frosting too! Easy to make so they will be made often. It was a great recommendation - Thanks!