Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
From the Front Porch Restaurant in Yellville, Arkansas.
Top Review by AngelicFantasia
This was my first time to fry catfish and it was a delicious experiment. It was so easy to make, too. For the cornbread mix, I used a Jiffy cornbread mix and it gave the fish a certain sweetness. I will be making this recipe again...many more times. Thanks for another great recipe.
- 2 1⁄2 cups cornbread mix
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons dried thyme
- 6 farm-raised catfish fillets
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- peanut oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a shallow dish.
- Dip fillets in buttermilk, allowing excess to drip off; sprinkle with salt and peppers, and dredge in cornbread mixture.
- Pour oil to depth of 4 inches into an electric fryer or Dutch oven; heat to 400 degrees.
- Fry fillets, two at a time, 2 to 3 minutes or until they float; drain on paper towels.
- Serve immediately.