Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This our secret family traditional recipe for "frijoles borachos" translates into "drunk beans. What many people call frijoles a la charra or frijoles charros! These are great for any time especially when you make carne asada.
- Rinse and pick over beans and clean them out.
- Add the beans and the garlic in a large pot of water and bring to a boil.After the water boils reduce heat and cook over medium heat for 1 to 1½ hours until they are tender but still firm.
- While beans are cooking cut and cook bacon, till its fully cooked and set aside.
- In another frying pan add 2 cups of ham and 2 cups of chopped smoked sausage.*Both cut into small cubes. Brown the ham and sausage for about 7-10 minutes, and set aside.
- Add the can of beer to your beans before the they are fully cooked and let simmer till the beans become fully cooked.
- When the beans are fully cooked, add the all the remaining ingredients into the pot ( a whole bunch of chopped cilantro, diced jalapeno peppers, diced onions, diced tomatoes, cooked bacon, ham, and sausage) . Let the beans come to a boil after you add the remaining ingredients. This recipe will not need salt because there is already enough of that coming from your beer, bacon and ham and sausage. The secret is in the cilantro and the beer. The more cilantro and beer the more flavorful!
- *For those of you that don’t eat pork, you can use turkey ham, turkey bacon and turkey sausage. The taste is just as flavorful.
My family devoured these! Thank you for sharing this. It will be in my rotation now. YUMM!!