Barenaked Chef's Note:
We turned these into shrimp poboys using French rolls and putting the slaw right inside the sandwich. Perfect! Source: Food Network Magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
- 1 lemon, juice of, plus lemon wedges for serving
- 8 cups coleslaw mix or 8 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 scallions, sliced
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 24 extra-large shrimp, peeled and deveined (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 1/2 sleeves saltines (about 60 crackers)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 4 large eggs
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 1Make the slaw: Mix the mayonnaise, relish and lemon juice in a large bowl. Add the coleslaw mix and scallions; season with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- 2Fill a large bowl halfway with ice water and 1 tablespoon salt. Butterfly the shrimp: Make a deep cut down the back of each shrimp so it can be splayed open. Soak in the ice water, 5 to 10 minutes.
- 3Meanwhile, place the saltines in a large resealable plastic bag and finely crush with a rolling pin; transfer to a bowl. Mix the flour and Old Bay Seasoning in another bowl. Lightly beat the eggs in a third bowl. Dredge the shrimp in the seasoned flour, dip in the eggs and press into the crushed crackers, splaying each one open to coat inside the incision. Transfer to a plate, cover and refrigerate until ready to fry.
- 4Heat 3/4 inch vegetable oil in a large heavy-bottomed skillet over high heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350 degrees F. Fry the shrimp in batches, turning once, until golden, 1 to 2 minutes. Drain on paper towels and season with salt. Serve with lemon wedges and the slaw.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fried Shrimp With Tartar Slaw
Serving Size: 1 (470 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 540.6
- Calories from Fat 153
- Total Fat 17.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 405.3 mg
- Sodium 1394.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 11.6 g
- Protein 36.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Old Bay Seasoning