I made these for my daughter, and I'll never buy store bought cheese sticks again because these are so quick and delicious. This recipe came straight from The Joy of Cooking. I'm thinking about getting a Fry Daddy...
- Cut the cheese into 8 3 1/2/x 1/2x1/2" sticks.
- Put flour into shallow dish and dredge the mozzarella sticks lightly in flour, shaking off the excess.
- One by one, dip in the beaten egg, coating completely, and then roll in bread crumbs to coat.
- Put the sticks on a plate and freeze for 15 minutes.
- Heat a deep fryer or heavy pot to 365 in 3 inches of oil.
- Fry the mozzarella sticks in 2 batches until golden brown, about 1 minute.
- Drain on paper towels and serve with hot marinara sauce.
I wasted a whole package of cheese sticks. The freeze time wasn't enough to prevent them from falling apart in the hot oil and what was salvageable was not very good. I'm not sure what went wrong, but this was not palatable for us. I only cooked five in the first batch but threw away the rest to avoid having to wash off the breading and try again. Thanks for sharing the recipe and I'm glad it went well for some reviewers.
Great recipe! Mine turned out really good my husband loved them so much I had to make two batches! I couldnt find bread crumbs in the store so I made my own by toasting the bread and adding garlic salt parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning they were really good thank you for posting the recipe
Mine turned out a mess. Haha :) I certainly do not blame it on the recipe though. I didn't quite coat them enough with the breading (and I added a couple of tablespoons of water to thin out the egg) - both of which I do not recommend! Next time I will probably double-dip into the egg and breadcrumbs so that the casing is nice sturdy. The end result is tasty though :D Made for PAC Spring 2009.