Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 40 mins
Cook 14 mins
This is about as southern as you can get.
Make and share this Fried Grits recipe from Food.com.
- Add water and salt to a saucepan; bring to a boil; stir in grits.
- Cook grits until done, following the package directions.
- Remove saucepan from heat.
- Add in bacon and 1 tablespoon butter; stir until the butter melts.
- Pour grits into a greased 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 inch loafpan.
- Cool; cover and chill in the refrigerator overnight.
- Remove grits by turning the pan over; cut loaf into 1/2 inch slices.
- Melt remaining 1/4 cup butter in a large fry pan.
- Fry slices over medium heat for 5-7 minutes or until lightly browned, turning once.
Fantastic! Soft on the inside crunchy on the outside. Just like we had when I was younger (sometimes mom would use sausage intead of bacon). I prepared exactly as written. yummmm! Thanks!
Yes, thank you for posting this! The memory of it had died out in my family until I saw this recipe. We had them for breakfast this morning!
My grandmother always prepared grits this way. She served them at breakfast with warm maple syrup. They were yummy. I learned how to cook from her and this has always been a favorite of mine. I need to make it more often. This is the best grits recipe. Thanks for posting.