This has been posted for ZWT II. Found on the net, Mark Twain was quoted as saying "New Orleans food is as delicious as the less criminal forms of sin." The dish was further described - “This has become a modern classic appetizer in New Orleans, having originated at the Upperline Restaurant Uptown, then appeared at Uglesich's & spread to points beyond. It's simple, really -- just adding 1 ingredient to the classic Shrimp Remoulade, but it makes a big difference. Cool salad, cool & tangy sauce & shrimp, over piping hot & crunchy fried green tomatoes. This is New Orleans w/a touch of the Deep South & a hint of Creole-Italian. That’s a beautiful thing.” My recipe source was gumbopages.com/recipe & it would be nice to think this “form of sin” survived. (Times were not specified, so have been estimated)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 green tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon basil (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese (grated)
- 1 teaspoon oregano (crushed)
- black pepper
- cayenne pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1 cup water
- Tabasco sauce (to taste)
- shrimp remoulade sauce
- romaine lettuce (shredded)
- 3 tablespoons fresh chives (chopped)
- 1Heat oil in a cast-iron skillet till hot but not smoking (about 350°F). Slice the tomatoes about 3/8" thick & pat them dry w/paper towels.
- 2Season flour w/salt, pepper & cayenne. Add the Parmesan, oregano & basil to the bread crumbs & mix thoroughly.
- 3Mix milk, egg & water & combine w/a wire whisk to make an egg wash. Season the egg wash w/salt, pepper & hot sauce.
- 4Using the classic 3-step method, dredge the tomato slices in flour (tap excess from slices), then dip in the egg wash & then coat thoroughly w/the breadcrumbs.
- 5Pan-fry tomatoes (being careful not to crowd the pan) till golden brown on ea side (do in batches if necessary). Drain well on several layers of paper towels.
- 6For ea serving, place Romaine lettuce on a salad plate, about 3 slices of tomato, then top w/the shrimp remoulade. Garnish w/chopped chives & serve immediately.
- 7NOTE: There are several recipes for fried green tomatoes & shrimp remoulade here on RZ, but none I found that combine them as they do in this New Orleans dish.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fried Green Tomatoes W/Shrimp Remoulade
Serving Size: 1 (188 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 467.0
- Calories from Fat 389
- Total Fat 43.2 g
- Saturated Fat 7.2 g
- Cholesterol 31.8 mg
- Sodium 51.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 4.6 g