Recipe by Southern Lady
I couldn't find the same recipe on Zaar site. Enjoy a little taste of Texas! My recipe calls for a healthier way of frying, but if you prefer the deep fry: 6 cups oil and when tomatoes float to the top, they're done (if they're nicely browned, that's done, too, but they should float) and drain thoroughly.
- 4 -6 medium green tomatoes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1 egg
- 4 dashes hot sauce
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3⁄4 cup seasoned dry bread crumb
- 1⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons margarine
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice Tomato into 1/2 inch thick slices.
- Sprinkle evenly with Salt.
- Combine Brown Sugar and Flour and place on a shallow plate.
- Dip or rub gently both sides of each Tomato Slice into the flour mixture.
- Combine Egg, Hot Sauce, Milk, and Lemon Juice
- Dip each tomato slice into Egg mixture.
- Then dip each tomato slice into Bread Crumb mixture.
- In large skillet melt margarine with oil on medium-high.
- Place tomato slices into skillet but NOT touching.
- Brown on each side.
- Each slice should remain firm and hold their shape.
- Repeat the cooking oils if needed for remaining tomato slices.
- Serve warm with meal or use fingers and eat them as a snack.