Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is an old family favorite. I have added a little heat to it with the pepper flakes. Fried onions are also a nice option to make it a little special. Try it with a little Thousand Island Dressing. Cheddar cheese is fine but Cheez Whiz does the trick!
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons margarine (or butter)
- 2 slices bread (multigrain is best)
- 1 tablespoon Cheez Whiz (or your favorite cheese)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- red pepper flakes (to taste)
- Melt margarine in frying pan.
- Add egg (don't break the yolk, but if you do that is alright too!).
- Gently fry the egg.
- Sprinkle the egg with the salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes. (if you don't like hot, leave them off).
- Flip the egg over. I like the yolk to be a bit soft. Polk the yolk after you have turned the egg so that a bit of the yolk seeps out.
- Spread the Cheez Whiz on one side of the bread.
- Put the egg on the bread and top with the other slice of bread. (I like the side with the pepper flakes to meet the Cheez Whiz).
- Return the sandwich to your fryng pan and grill until golden, flip over and grill the other side. (I don't butter the sandwich before frying).
I give this 5 stars because it is good. Many of us grew up having these for a quick Sunday night supper, quick breakfast for sports-playing kids, but seriously, is this really a recipe?
I love anything with cheese whiz so this is right up my alley! Had to make 2. 1 just wasn't enough!
It's a cross between a grilled cheese and a fried egg sandwich!