Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
I love cabbage! And bacon, and onion, so you will see several recipes sort of alike here. It's such a comfort food for me.Sometimes I'll leave out the bacon and add ground beef. Sometimes I'll add some fresh chopped tomato. Cabbage is like a canvass, you can add things and make it an ever-changing recipe. The times are just a guestimate.
- 5 slices of thick bacon or 7 slices of thin bacon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small white onion, sliced very thin
- 1 small head of cabbage, cut in half
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 bay leaf (optional)
- Cut bacon into 1" pieces. Place in large frying pan and cook until ready to turn. Add butter and onion and cook till medium brown.
- Add cut cabbage and add bay leaf if using. Add enough water to cover (1/4 cup at a time.).
- Cover and allow to steam, stirring often, and adding water as needed to help loosen the brown bits in the pan.
- Cook 15-20 minutes (it will cook down quite a bit in volume.) Taste to check for desired tenderness. When almost done, add vinegar, stir,and heat an additional.
- 5 minutes. Sprinkle with coarse black pepper just before serving if desired.