Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Great stew for cleaning out the leftovers in the fridge, lots of taste and easy to put together.
- 1 -2 lb stewing beef
- 4 -6 fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 medium onions, quartered
- 3 -4 stalks celery, cut in 1 inch pieces
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 5 -8 baby carrots
- 1 small rutabaga, cubed
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard (I like Keens)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bouquet garni (of Marjoram, sage, parsley and bay leaves or your favourite stew seasoning)
- salt and pepper
- Add stew beef to non stick fry pan and brown on all sides over medium high heat; add mushrooms and garlic, continue to brown; about 10 minutes.
- Add wine and deglaze pan, simmer 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile: Add onions, celery, potatoes, carrots and rutabaga to crock pot.
- Add thyme and bouquet garni to crock pot.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour beef mixture from fry pan over veggies in crock pot and stir to mix.
- Combine in a bowl, stock, Worcestershire sauce and water; add flour and dry mustard and whisk together until well combined.
- Add flour/mustard mixture to crock pot, stir to mix.
- Cook on high for 5 to 6 hours; adjust seasoning and serve hot with crusty rolls to sop up juices.
- Feel free to use any veggies left in the fridge that need to be used up.
Enjoyed the flavours. I amended for the pressure cooker. Thanks for sharing.
I so wish you could all just take a wiff of this dish! Wow I chose to just put everything in the crock pot and let it go. Would not change a thing as for the ingredints. Derf this has to be one of our favorite stews I have ever made. 10 Stars!