2 hrs 30 mins
Chef Kate's Note:
A quite wonderful combination of spice makes this ketchup, a Joanne Weir recipe, worth the effort.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 lbs tomatoes, ripe, quartered
- 3 medium red onions, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and seeded
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon allspice berry
- 2 teaspoons whole cloves
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 1 slice fresh ginger
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1Place the tomatoes, onions, bell pepper and garlic in a large pot.
- 2Bring to boil over high heat, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally until the vegetables are very soft, about 30 minutes.
- 3Pass through the finest blade of a food mill to make a semi-smooth puree. Alternatively, puree in the blender until smooth and pass through a fine strainer. Place the puree back in the cleaned soup pot.
- 4Place the peppercorns, mustard seeds, allspice berries, cloves, celery seeds, ginger, cinnamon stick and bay leaves on a piece of cheesecloth and tie it up to form a bag.
- 5Add to the tomatoes, along with the brown sugar, paprika, mace, cider vinegar, salt and cayenne.
- 6Simmer slowly, stirring frequently, until the ketchup is very thick, 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Remove the cheesecloth bag and discard.
- 7Ketchup can be cooled and stored in a sealed plastic container in the refrigerator for 2 weeks.
- 8Alternatively, you can put ketchup in sterilized jars. To do so, first wash the jars in hot, soapy water. Rinse well. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add 4 pint jars and lids and boil 1 minute. Remove with tongs and drain.
- 9While the ketchup is still hot, pour it into the sterilized jars, leaving 1/4-inch headroom. Seal and place in boiling water bath for 12 minutes. Remove and cool.
Browse Our Top Condiments, Etc. Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Condiments, Etc. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fresh Tomato Ketchup
Serving Size: 1 (3105 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 286.3
- Calories from Fat 22
- Total Fat 2.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 630.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.3 g
- Sugars 46.8 g
- Protein 7.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: