Green Tomato Ketchup - Quebec Style Chow-Chow
photo by NHgall
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 30 medium green tomatoes, chopped (about 6 pounds)
- 15 medium onions, chopped (about 3 pounds)
- 2⁄3 cup coarse salt
- 3 cups white vinegar
- 2 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons mixed pickling spices, tied in cheesecloth
- In a large bowl, alternate layers of tomatoes and onions, sprinkling each layer with salt.
- Let stand for at least 8 hours, better overnight.
- Rinse; drain well.
- Combine vegetables with vinegar, sugar and spice bag.
- In a large saucepan or stock pot, bring mixture to a boil, then simmer, uncovered, for about 30 to 45 minutes.
- Stir frequently until slightly thickened.
- Pour into hot, sterilized jars and seal.
Must have put too much salt on tomatoes to sit for 8 hrs. So i dumped out whole mixture into cauldron, rinsed and started over. Did not add any salt to second mixture. There was no amount of salt to sorinkle on tomato specified in recipe. Maybe i put too much on. I did rinse well before putting in pot
see 1 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>My husband and I are mostly retired but we love renovations so we tend to buy, fix and sell a lot :) We love to travel and our favorite and yearly destinations are Negril, Jamaica and Isla Mujeres Mexico.</p>