Prep 45 mins
Cook 5 hrs 30 mins
Use slightly underripe firm fruit for the most pronounced peach flavor.
- 2 lbs slightly underripe peaches
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 (2 ounce) box dry pectin
- 3 -4 cups sugar, to taste
- Peel the peaches by dipping them into a pan of boiling water to loosen the skin; then immediately cool them by holding under cold water.
- The skins will slip off; remove the pits.
- In a large bowl, coarsely crush the peaches by hand or with a potato masher or pulse a few times in a food processor; you'll have about 5 cups of pulp.
- Combine the peaches and lemon juice in a slow cooker; sprinkle with the pectin.
- Let stand 20-30 minutes.
- Stir in the sugar; cover and cook on LOW for 2 1/2 hours, stirring twice.
- Remove the lid, turn the cooker to HIGH, and cook 2-3 hours longer, until the jam reaches the desired consistency.
- Ladle the warm jam into clean spring-top glass jars (or use screw tops with new lids); let stand to cool.
- Store, covered in the refrigerator for up to 2 months.
- OR spoon into small plastic storage containers and freeze up to 3 months.