Recipe by Dan Smith
For true lemon-lovers only. VERY TART!
Top Review by MarraMamba
Very good. I used store bought pie crust though and rolled it extra thin, as well as zesting and then peeling the lemons. That way the bitter taste of the pith didn't come through. you are right, its TART but yummy. also used brown sugar to sprinkle.
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 -4 lemons
- sugar, as needed
- butter, as needed
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease 9x12 casserole/cake pan.
- Sift salt and flour together.
- Add shortening and sugar and cut.
- Add beaten egg and water.
- Roll very thin.
- Line pan (bottom/sides) with crust.
- Slice washed lemons (as you use them) into paper-thin slices.
- Cover bottom crust with overlapped slices.
- Sprinkle 1/3 to ½ cup sugar over slices.
- Add butter (in pat-sized pieces) liberally.
- This is a complete layer.
- Add layers until you run out of vertical space or crust.
- Bake in 325°F oven for about an hour or until crust is golden brown.
- Cool and serve with vanilla ice cream.
- It is VERY sour!