Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
In 'Muffins' by Elizabeth Alston
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 1 -2 lemon, well scrubbed and patted dry
- 1⁄2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup plain yogurt or 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°; grease muffin cups or use foil or paper baking cups.
- Finely chop the ginger; finely grate the lemon peel so you have 2 tablespoons.
- In a big bowl, beat butter and 1 cup sugar with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time; add ginger and lemon peel.
- Stir baking soda into yogurt or buttermilk; it will start to bubble and rise up.
- Fold flour into ginger mixture one third at a time, alternately with the yogurt.
- When well blended, scoop into muffin cups; bake 18-20 minutes, or until lightly browned and springy to the touch.
- While the muffins bake, mix lemon juice and the 2 tablespoons sugar in a small dish; stir until sugar dissolves.
- When muffins are baked, remove from oven and let cool 3-5 minutes in pan.
- Remove from pan and dip top and bottom in the lemon juice and sugar mixture.