Recipe by Kozmic Blues
This dish is quite simple to make because the fish steams right on top of the simmering vegetables. The most time consuming part, I think, is cutting the oranges into segments. In a pinch, I think a couple cans of mandarin orange slices would work well too. The oranges added just a touch of sweet to the saltiness in the olives and feta. This dish is great served with some steamed basmati rice mixed with some fresh chopped cilantro. I adapted this recipe from Bon Appetit. Originally this was made using halibut, but I've used some of the fishes I mentioned below and those worked just as well.
Top Review by Sassy Syrah
This was fabulous. I used green olives instead of black, all wine like you, and ocean perch. The balance of sweet and salty was amazing. The creaminess and tanginess of the feta added a real highlight to the meal. We served this on a bed of spaghetti. Definitely a make again recipe. Thank you for posting the pic, you've really made my week.
- 3 large oranges, peeled and cut into segments
- 29.58-44.37 ml olive oil
- 709.77 ml thinly sliced red onions
- 3 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 411.06 g candiced tomatoes with juice
- 118.29 ml clam juice
- 118.29 ml dry white wine (can use 1 cup wine and leave out clam juice)
- 78.07 ml kalamata olive, pitted and sliced
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1133.98 g firm white fish fillets, rinsed and pat dry (halibut, cod, turbot, or haddock work very well here)
- 85.04 g drained feta cheese, thinly sliced (optional)
- fresh chives, chopped,for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat olive oil over medium high heat in a large skillet.
- Add onions and garlic and sauté until tender, about 8 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, clam juice and wine and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, and simmer for about 3-4 minutes.
- Carefully add the orange segments and olives.
- Taste sauce, and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Season fish fillets with salt and pepper, and arrange them in a single layer in the skillet on top of the vegetable mixture.
- Cover and simmer gently until fish is cooked through and turns bright white, about 12 minutes.
- Spoon the vegetables into shallow bowls and top with a fish fillet.
- If using, place feta cheese slices on top of vegetable, and alongside of the fish.
- Sprinkle with chopped chives, and serve hot.