Recipe by Catherine B.
I've seen many recipes using canned cranberry sauce, but I much prefer fresh ingredients. I like to leave the fat on the roast while cooking, but then reduce the fat content of the gravy by chilling the cooked roast overnight. Once chilled, I remove the congealed fat that has all floated to the top before straining the juices to make my gravy. My husband says this is the best pork roast ever! Very tender and tasty with a slightly sweet sauce.
Top Review by SueHutch1
This was very tasty! The tartness of the cranberries balanced very well with the sweetness of the honey/orange sauce. Used pork tenderloin and added chunks of butternut squash. A perfect fall dish!
- 3 -4 lbs pork loin roast
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup chopped fresh cranberries
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1 orange, juice and rind of
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 sweet potatoes, peeled, left whole
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim excess fat from roast. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place in slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, combine cranberries, honey, orange juice & rind, and spices; pour over roast.
- Place whole, peeled sweet potatoes on top of roast.
- Cover and cook on LOW 8 hours.
- Remove sweet potatoes and roast from cooker.
- Strain juices.
- Melt butter in skillet, add flour, stir to combine and cook on medium heat to warm. Slowly whisk in strained juices. Cook over medium heat until thickened to gravy.
- Whip sweet potatoes, adding butter and orange juice for moisture. Bake or broil until hot. Serve with roast.